W.T. Woodson students allegedly vandalize Bear

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by Andrew Clinton

photo by Andrew Clinton

photo by Andrew Clinton

Yet again, the Bruin’s den has been infiltrated overnight. Allegedly students of W.T. Woodson High School vandalized Braddock’s beloved bear last night, which was painted for the Dig Pink volleyball game promoting breast cancer awareness. Vandals defaced the Bear with the Woodson logo and profane language in the build up to Friday night’s football game at Woodson.

“It’s so rude,” senior class officer Madison Shock said. “I know people think [vandalism] is a normal thing to do, but [the Bear] was [painted] for a good cause.”

The steps leading to the field, as well as a few trees in front of LB were TP-ed. However, the main offense committed was covering the Bear painted for breast awareness and not the TP-ing, Shock said.

The Dig Pink volleyball game is a major event at LB where students come together to support the volleyball team and the fight against breast cancer. A few weeks ago, Robinson fans also painted over the Bear, which was painted for Ellie’s Hats, a charity that donates hats to kids battling cancer. In the past, similar vandalism has occurred.

“I think it has gone to the point where [vandalism] is a traditional thing to do,” senior class officer Stephanie Chewning said. “Robinson and South County have done it to us for a long time.”

VandalizedBear1web

However, both Chewning and Shock agree that LB’s students should not seek revenge for the actions this time around.

“I don’t want everyone to be angry,” Shock said. “We should forgive and forget.”

As for this Friday’s game, the Bruin Hype Squad should put their best foot forward, Chewning said. The game is Woodson’s homecoming, and Chewning said the vandalized bear will motivate the Bruins to step up the spirit.

“Woodson has always tried to downgrade our student section because their basketball student section is larger,” Chewning said. “I don’t think they know what they have coming at this game.”