Students flock to grand opening of Springfield Town Center

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by Sara Kim

photo by Sara Kim

photo by Sara Kim

Just six miles away from L.B., a 1.35 million square foot mall had its grand opening on Friday morning at 10 a.m. Instead of traveling 30 minutes to Fair Oaks or Tysons Corner Mall, students now have access to a proximity shopping center– the Springfield Town Center.

“I was one of the first people to go to the new Forever 21 and H&M,” sophomore Shannon Browning said. “I’ve gone to Tysons, and I was more impressed with the Springfield Town Center. It just looks so much more professional.”

After the Springfield mall area began to decline with the number of customers due to the crimes and carjacking issues, the once-popular mall shut down two years ago. The negative aspects of the mall influenced the remodeling of the Springfield Mall as one part of the ten year reconstruction plan proposed in the area.

“I didn’t like that the [old] mall wasn’t very clean,” senior Mike Rochlis said. “My parents said there were crime issues in the mall, and I don’t remember the stores generally being that nice.”

Some of the popular retail stores opened their doors Friday morning such as J. Crew, Michael Kors, Dicks Sporting Goods and the British clothing retailer, Topshop. Restaurants, such as Maggiano’s Little Italy, Yard House and Chuy’s features outdoor patio seating. Along with the retail stores and restaurants, new facilities such as the 1,200 seat Regal Cinema which includes leather and reclining seats and the LA Fitness with a pool opened right next to it. Soon, Dave & Busters, an American restaurant and entertainment business which is also known as the adult version of Chuck E Cheese, will open at the Springfield Town Center.

“I’m going to keep going to this mall because it’s closer and now they have better stores and restaurants like Chipotle and Chick Fil A,” senior Monica Olivo said.