Everybody cheer: The Hype Squad is here

The pounding on the bleachers. The roaring of the crowd. The blood sweat and tears at every Thursday practice all leads up to this moment. This is what separates the boys from the men. This is the Hype Squad.

The concept of the Hype Squad is simple: They are a squad of people who go to games and get everybody hyped. They are the spirited people who paint their bodies and holler at the top of their lungs. They are the bringers of excitement. Spirit alone will not suffice, however, and the squad also needs to practice and prepare. Senior Jack Owens, a member of the Hype Squad, explained that before the games they take time to practice chants and make banners and posters.

“Before the games we go to Wal-Mart to buy paint,” senior Joe Darcy said.

Darcy said that they all meet in the parking lot and go in together to get what they need. But the Hype Squad doesn’t stop at buying body paint, making banners and practicing chants.

“We get really creative and get everything we can think of,” senior Courtney Hale said.

Before the game, the Hype Squad goes crazy and gets into their Bruin Spirit. That same creative spirit helps prepare them for the game carries them through.

“A lot of it is about improvising,” Hale said.

This flexibility allows for spur-of-the-moment chants that inspire the crowds for that specific moment. The reason that our Hype Squad is better than all other schools’ is because they actually pay attention to what is going on in the game and improvise accordingly, Hale said.

“We make so much more noise,” sophomore Conner Reardon said.

Before each game, the Hype Squad also has to make a video for the Morning Bru. They get together and script their own video about any plans they have for the game. All of this preparation is not in vain. The Hype Squad is a team spirit-making machine that inspires all the students to cheer for their team.

“We get pumped up. We’re a good Hype Squad, and we’re screaming [at] every play, even if it’s not a good one,” sophomore Mason Blair said.

The Hype Squad is one of the most important parts of any of the football games, and being part of it takes a lot of courage, flexibility and spirit. The team is committed to making every student crazy for the school and the football team. The spirit and preparation that the Hype Squad brings is an essential part of the Lake Braddock football game experience.