Lake Braddock's Independent Student Newspaper

The Bear Facts

All-Nighters

Brendan Morgan, News Editor

Many High school students, at some point in time, can relate to the problem of staying up all night for school. It could be because they are cramming for a big test, or because they are trying to finish a large amount of homework.

According to Healthline, a consumer health information website, lack of sleep can affect your cognitive abilities and emotional state and can increase your chance of becoming susceptible to chronic illness. Frequent sleep deprivation can impede balance, coordination and decision making abilities.

Why do students continually choose to stay up so late, even with the knowledge that lack of sleep is bad for them?

Junior Janice Mun feels a need to complete her assignments, as it helps her solidify her understanding of the material taught in class.

“I stay up late almost every day,”Mun said. “ I can’t remember the last time I went to bed before midnight that wasn’t a weekend. Physics homework tends to take up the majority of time spent on homework, with AP Chem coming in at a close second. Calculus requires the most undivided attention. One class is generally not the problem, but when it all snowballs into a singular task it can be difficult to manage.”

Senior Tyler Johnson pulls an all nighter about once every three weeks. Classes that depend on textbooks such as AP Biology, AP Psychology, and AP Human Geography, usually take up the most time.

The National Sleep Foundation recommends 8 to 10 hours of sleep for people between ages 14-17. When students that stay up late to do work, it can make them not only lose out on sleep, but also affect their in school performance the next day.

“After a late night, I find it difficult to stay attentive in class. The last period of the day is always the hardest and I end up learning little in those classes,” Johnson said.

Students that do extracurricular activities can add hours to an already late night, which can make students exhausted before the work even starts.

“For me, extracurriculars add only an hour or so to how late I stay up,” Johnson said. “That’s probably due to feeling more energized after I run. Staying up does take a toll on my performance in extracurriculars. I am much more likely to skip practice after a late night. Should I go to practice, I find that I fatigue much quicker than usual.”

Homework is important, but sacrificing sleep to complete assignments can be harmful. Students that stay up late should realize that lack of sleep can be detrimental to their mind and body with both long and short term effects.